The Institute of Economics, Centre for Economic and Regional Studies of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences unifies excellence in research, authenticity in science, and a commitment to society. The institute network of the Academy is set to produce values for both national and international success in Hungarian and universal science. Being part of the full-time research institute network in Hungary, its primary aim is to play a fundamental role in promoting the common weal and in building the foundation for the future through valuable scientific achievements based on highly promising discovery research. The Centre was established on January 1st 2012 with the merger of three academic institutes and remain independent in their scientific activities.
The Institute of Economics is committed to international standards of fundamental and applied research in economics. It has focused increasingly on the analysis of the contemporary market economy and the transformation of the Hungarian economy.
The research fields of the institute are the following:
- agricultural economics and rural development,
- education and labour economics,
- economics of networks,
- empirical industrial organisation,
- firms, strategy and performance,
- game theory,
- macroeconomics and growth,
- mechanism design,
- public economics and public policies,
- further research: IEHAS conducts basic and applied, as well as interdisciplinary research on many further areas of economics and the related fields, such as the history of economic thought, etc.